ODU Model United Nations Conference (ODUMUNC)
Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- Strengthening Coordination of Efforts to Combat Human Trafficking
- Furthering Women’s Rights in Developing Countries
- Suppression of Transnational Crime and the Trade in Illegal Drugs
- Sharing Science and Green Technology for Sustainable Development
Your Chairman: Luke Watson
Welcome to one of the three basic bodies of the United Nations. Besides the Security Council and General Assembly, the UN Charter created the ECOSOC, with the mission of better organizing economic and social policy to improve the lives of people the world over. It works directly with over a dozen UN technical agencies and commissions. It coordinates the work of several UN programmes and funds.
The work of the ECOSOC stresses:
- promoting higher standards of living, full employment, and economic and social progress;
- identifying solutions to international economic, social and health problems;
- facilitating international cultural and educational cooperation; and
- encouraging universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
ECOSOC works in close collaboration with the NGO forum—with international civil society—to transform global priorities on the issues that affect people the world over. Their combined work often touches more lives than any other bodies in the UN system.
ECOSOC working ECOSOC meeting preparation