How to Apply
You may obtain an application for admission to graduate study in the MFA program by any of the following methods:
- Download the application form through the Internet from the Old Dominion University Graduate Admissions.
- Telephone or write the Old Dominion University Office of Graduate Admissions at (757) 683-3638 or Old Dominion University, Office of Graduate Admissions, Norfolk, VA 23529-0050.
- Contact Graduate Program Director, at (757) 683-4770
Please note the specific Creative Writing Program Requirements and deadlines on page 6 of the Graduate Admissions application. In addition to these, please:
- Send both your essay and your 30-page writing sample in duplicate--one set to the Admissions Office with your application, the other set to the Dr. Michael Pearson, MFA Program Director, Department of English, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA 23529-0050.
- Note that the GRE is the preferred test for the MFA Program.
Pay attention to cutoff dates for financial aid decisions. If you are making application for the fall semester and wish to be considered for financial assistance as either a teaching or research assistant, please submit your completed application package to the Admissions Office by February 15.
Assistantships are generally assigned before the fall semester only. If you are making application for the fall but do not wish to be considered for an assistantship, the application deadline is March 1. If you have any questions about the application process, email Sheri Reynolds, GPD, or call (757) 683-4770.