Admission Requirements for Accelerated Degree
Explore the Interdisciplinary World of International Studies
Requirements for Admission
1. A declared major in BAIS.
2. A minimum of 60 hours completed, including at least six hours of 300/400-level courses in the major.
3. A GPA of 3.0 at time of admission.
4. Application approved by both the BAIS and MAIS directors.
After obtaining the BAIS, the student will go on to take an additional six courses at the graduate level:
Four courses in one of the following fields of concentration:
U.S. Foreign Policy
Conflict and Cooperation
Political Economy and Development
Two electives at the 600 level or above. At least one course should have a regional focus.
It is anticipated that a student who has completed the BAIS could thus take three courses in both the Fall and Spring semesters of their fifth year.
Comprehensive exams will be offered at the end of the Spring semester and at the end of the summer. There will be no thesis option.
Students in the accelerated program are also required to:
1. Take the GRE no later than the last semester of BAIS work.
2. Maintain an average GPA of 3.0 in all seven core undergraduate courses and a GPA of 3.0 in the four Bridge courses.
3. Maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 (Students failing to maintain a 3.0 GPA may revert to the regular BAIS degree and count up to 12 hours of completed graduate core courses toward the degree).
4. Complete an application for Old Dominion University graduate admission.
Students interested in pursuing the accelerated BA/MA degree option should meet with Dr. Heidi Schlipphacke starting in their junior year.